Hi,

DocSet looks nice.
I will look into it more.

However, does it extract metadata from the code?
or just transform the existing POD doc to a more attractive
and useful format?

I envision that both are required.
In fact there are both "business logic" and "presentation"
layers to this, and I think it would serve the documentation
effort well to separate these issues.

Javadoc works well because it actually examines the code and
supplements the code with comments (the "business logic" layer,
associated with determining metadata about the code).
Then it creates HTML in a very nice format (the "presentation"
layer, associated simply with presenting the metadata).

I have begun a module which I might release independently on
CPAN which extracts metadata from code, comments, and pod.
I have currently named it "Devel::Metadata".

http://www.officevision.com/pub/Devel-Metadata
http://www.officevision.com/pub/Devel-Metadata/README

Any thoughts on the usefulness of such a module?

I will then look closer at the presentation aspects again
such as DocSet and perldocs.

Stephen