At 03:05 PM 1/2/2002 +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Gerald Richter wrote:
>> Until now I thought the consensus on the list was to also support 5.005 ?
>>
>> Since this is the second time we have the discussion whenever to use
>> attributes or not and therefore to require Perl 5.6 I think we should
>> clarify this. Vote on it?
>
>I vote we support 5.8+ only. Seriously.

Hi,

This is the second vote called.
We'll do better than last time, hopefully (in terms of process).
Basically, there are two phases to this:

 1. the discussion to formulate the questions for a vote
 2. the vote

We are in the discussion phase now.
Here are some questions I think we need feedback on.

QUESTIONS:
   * What benefits would result from raising the required level to 5.6.1?
     (Someone already commented that the bugginess of 5.6.0 would preclude
     us using that as a supported base.) i.e. What modules would we desire
     to use that we could not if we had to support 5.5.3?
   * Same question for 5.8.0?
   * What about mod_perl?  Are 5.8.0 and 5.6.1 both as well supported in
     mod_perl as 5.5.3?
   * What versions of Perl ship with major Unix systems? Linux distributions?
   * How stable is 5.8.0?

PRELIMINARY OPINIONS:
   I think the success of P5EE is not dependent on features beyond 5.5.3.
   I suggest that P5EE 1.0 should be based on a pervasively deployed 5.5.3.
   If we can get a body of code out there that functions and begins to gain
   acceptance, we might consider P5EE 2.0 to be built on 5.8.x.

The outcome of any meaningful vote will result in a modification to the
artifacts (documents/code) of the project.

Part of this discussion phase will include me floating the questions
for a vote, and I need feedback on that along with discussion about it.

I think the questions are the following (which would be put to
two separate votes of +1, +0, -0, and -1).

  1. Do we change the Perl Version supported by P5EE from 5.5.3 (5.005_03)
     to 5.6.1?

  2. If we vote to change the Perl Version supported from 5.5.3, do we
     change it to 5.8.0?

These decisions affect assertions made in the following documents.

In the P5EE Perl Style Guide, we make our current statement that 5.5.3 is the
supported Perl Version

http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/software/htdocs/P5EEx/Blue/perlstyle.ht
ml#perl%20version

This Perl Version was selected previously in order to maximize portability.
"Pervasive Deployment" is one of the core elements of the vision of P5EE.

   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/

Also, Portability is one of the Attributes of Enterprise Systems.

   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/definitions.html

Furthermore, the ability to run in mod_perl is one of the key requirements
based on expected platforms.

   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/platform.html

Stephen