At 05:38 PM 3/21/2002 -0500, Terrence Brannon wrote:
>On Thursday, March 21, 2002, at 10:20 AM, Stephen Adkins wrote:
>>> * I have long sought a way to create complex HTML UI's out of
>>>   reusable components (widgets)
>In what way does this approach differ/surpass the approach of
>       [1] HTML::Mason
>       [2] AxKit

Hi,

I am not an expert on these two systems, so I will make some guesses
in order to try to answer your question.

I believe they both present essentially a "TemplateEngine" approach
to user interfaces.  So P5EE has a TemplateEngine Service (envisioned,
not yet fleshed out).  Those two systems may or may not have a
Widget concept already established.

The challenge we face in creating a P5EE framework is not to create
Yet Another Framework (which may in fact happen anyway), but rather
a Super-Framework.  The Super-Framework examines the field of all
the technologies which are currently popular and breaks it into
services which are interchangeable to some extent.

The two user interface paradigms that seem most relevant to
capture are the TemplateEngine paradigm and the Widget paradigm.
So I have created both and envision that either may be used or
they may be used together.

>And is there a link to the relevant classes?

As always, go to the web site and look under "API Doc" for the
(somewhat) latest class documentation.

   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/

>And you do realize that HTML is but one of many display technologies?

Yes. Hence P5EEx::Blue::Widget::HTML exists for HTML widgets,
whereas (some future envisioned) P5EEx::Blue::Widget::WML might
exist for WML widgets (or Gtk or WxPerl or Curses or whatever).

Stephen