> I was talking to a TA from Accenture recently about Perl, mod_perl and
> Java and he told me that some java application server (i forgot to ask
> him which) could maintain less JDBC connections than http session
> handling threads and share them between the threads as needed without
> prior knowledge of wheter or not the thread needed to do DB work.

Sure, any multi-threaded Java program can do that.  It's not as useful
as it sounds, unless your program has a lot of threads that don't do any
database work.  That's not very common.  For more on this, see this
post:
http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Is there an equivalent way to do this with mod_perl?

With the current mod_perl you should use the recommended reverse proxy
architecture to keep requests for non-mod_perl content from tying up
database connections.  With mod_perl 2, those requests will not invoke a
perl interpreter and thus will not tie up a database connection.

- Perrin