Hi,

Does anyone have experience with automatic compression with the
output of mod_perl/CGI programs to speed up end-user performance?

As far as I can tell, I have two main options: Apache::Compress
and mod_gzip (see below).

  * Does anyone have recommendations on Apache::Compress vs mod_gzip?
  * In a two-server proxy configuration where the mod_perl server
    serves up dynamic content, does the compression need to be on
    the proxy server? mod_perl server? both? either?
  * If the compression needs to be on the proxy server, would
    that make the mod_gzip option the only viable one?

I am leaning toward mod_gzip because once I learn how to configure
and use it, I can use it on servers that don't have mod_perl
installed.  Any catches to this?

Stephen
_____________________

OPTION 1: Apache::Filter + Apache::Compress

I see in the mod_perl guide that it recommends Apache::Filter
and Apache::Gzip for content compression.

http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/modules.html#Apache__Gzip___Auto_compr
ess_web_files_with_Gzip

I searched CPAN at http://search.cpan.org and could not find
Apache::Gzip, but rather found Apache::Compress.

   http://search.cpan.org/author/KWILLIAMS/Apache-Filter/Filter.pm
   http://search.cpan.org/author/KWILLIAMS/Apache-Compress/Compress.pm

It seems that this supercedes the prior solution.

   http://search.cpan.org/author/ANDK/Apache-GzipChain/GzipChain.pm

It also seems that Apache::Compress builds on Apache::Gzip (which
Ken Williams mentions is in the Apache Eagle book but not on CPAN),
Apache::GzipChain, and other work, so it seems like that is the
current state-of-the-art mod_perl solution.

OPTION 2: mod_gzip

The mod_gzip project seems to do much the same thing, but it does not
require mod_perl to do it.

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/mod-gzip/