I would say it's best practice to have the ES data on a ephemeral volume if
you need extreme performance. But you loose the ability to snapshot the
volume for backup and autoscaling. Nevertheless you can (and I would
prefer) to still use a instance with EBS boot volume but add an additional
block volume mapping with an ephemeral NVMe device to keep the ES data on.