We tested both an upgrade and a full install of PacketFence 8.0. Here are our
thoughts:

1.       The dashboard is very nice and gives good data. I do wish it were more
customizable, (moving dashboard widgets would be nice) but it is a lot better
than 7.4's dashboard.

2.       We experienced massive performance issues. We doubled our test
server's vm allocation of memory and processor up to 8 processors and 32 GB of
RAM. Even with this much horsepower, it still bogged down unlike 7.4. We moved
back to 7.4 and every screen and function is snappy and quick.

3.       Having to do with the performance issues above, we noticed when we did
get the server settled down, that the Nodes tab was unbelievably slow. It took
30 seconds to 1 minute to bring up the screen.

4.       Looking at the log files, we noticed that the mariadb service was
crashing about once every hour. This happened on both the upgrade and the full
install.

5.       The new FingerBank is great! It accurately and automatically describes
the devices.

Our environment is fairly small with 2000 devices. PF 7.4 performs exeptioanbly
well. PF 8.0 may be more of a wait and see what 8.1 is like.

Regards

Peter Truax
Network Administrator
St. Martin's University