Hi Ludovic,

Sorry for lack of up front information, and thanks for your response.
Out of band enforcement with multiple roles/VLANs on a single SSID or wired
switch ports using 802.1x (EAP-TLS).
Currently served from primary site hence refresh is to move it to somewhere
more central and remove the site as a point of failure.

>From my digging into previous threads so far it looks like another good
approach may be to have discrete instances (clustered or not) in a regional
VPC, but to use a provisioning method like the one discussed here
<https://sourceforge.net/p/packetfence/mailman/message/36724974/> using an
asset database for sourcing MAC and users from.
I haven't dabbled in provisioners much yet, but my understanding is that a
client with a valid cert could then autoregister using the asset
information to derive roles and offer a pretty seamless and consistent user
experience despite the instances not speaking to one and other.

Best,
David

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 1:29 PM Zammit, Ludovic <luza...@akamai.com> wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> How’s your PacketFence deployment looks like ?
>
> How many SSIDs? Open ? 802.1x ? Are you doing wired authentication ?
> Remote registration sites?
>
> Thanks,
>
> *Ludovic Zammit*
> *Product Support Engineer Principal*
> *Cell:* +1.613.670.8432
> Akamai Technologies - Inverse
> 145 Broadway
> Cambridge, MA 02142
> Connect with Us: <https://community.akamai.com> <http://blogs.akamai.com>
> <https://twitter.com/akamai> <http://www.facebook.com/AkamaiTechnologies>
> <http://www.linkedin.com/company/akamai-technologies>
> <http://www.youtube.com/user/akamaitechnologies?feature=results_main>
>
> On Apr 22, 2021, at 1:16 PM, David Harvey via PacketFence-users <
> packetfence-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> I'm starting to wonder if I dreamed this now...
> I thought I recalled seeing a diagram or guide to a distributed topology
> featuring clustering and some kind of local caching, but I can't locate it
> anywhere, so thinking I may have confused it with something else now..
>
> We're looking to refresh our packetfence deployment, with instance(s)
> installed on a cloud provider VPC which would be reachable from on-prem via
> site to site tunnels or ideally with on-prem caching.
>
> Ideally we would have instances or caches in different regions that can
> remain in sync to reduce latency from having all of the pieces in close
> proximity.
>
> Loosely like what is described under the title "The good: Technology++"
> on  slide 13 here:
> https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-19/dc-19-presentations/Bilodeau/DEFCON-19-Bilodeau-PacketFence.pdf
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-19/dc-19-presentations/Bilodeau/DEFCON-19-Bilodeau-PacketFence.pdf__;!!GjvTz_vk!Hum2Oh0CzTvZLg9tXNUu6ILtuvc7Jtqw9mjxsHTUkwgHTcjv5IDDGBqRyTZ7kjdy$>
>
> Any tips?
>
> Thanks as ever,
>
> David
>
> Thought Machine Group a limited company registered in England & Wales.
> Registered number: 11114277.
> Registered Office: 5 New Street Square, London EC4A 3TW
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://maps.google.com/?q=5*New*Street*Square,*London*EC4A*3TW&entry=gmail&source=g__;KysrKysr!!GjvTz_vk!Hum2Oh0CzTvZLg9tXNUu6ILtuvc7Jtqw9mjxsHTUkwgHTcjv5IDDGBqRyTvermvP$>
> .
>
> The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient
> specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of
> this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender.
> If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and
> follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not
> occur in the future.

David Harvey
Director of Internal Technology, Thought Machine

Data Classification: Public