Hello Leonardo,

The two main methods to be redirected to a captive portal are called VLAN
enforcement and Web Authentication.

VLAN Enforcement:

PF manages a layer 2 registration VLAN where devices are dropped into to get
the captive portal. It leverages RADIUS authentication (Mac authentication or
802.1x)

Web Authentication:

It’s a vlanless solution for mostly guest network where you have you guest on
the production network already and the network equipment is forcing you to see
a captive portal (With ACLs) to register. It uses RADIUS authentication as well
most of the time.

The web Authentication solution is implemented into large layer 3 network and
it’s a feature that vendors offer. The VLAN enforcement can be used by any
vendor that have RADIUS features implemented.

Hope it’s clearer for you.

Thanks,

Ludovic Zammit
Product Support Engineer Principal