Good morning everyone. I approached Packetfence due to the need to have a
captive portal within a network of one of our customers that includes social
authentication. But before I get totally immersed in this product, I have a
question to ask that will surely denote my poor knowledge of NAC:

Why do I have to configure the switch connected to it to configure a captive
portal in pf?

Based on my experience, working with hardware and software firewalls, when I
needed to configure a captive portal, I did it directly on the firewall
which was the gateway of the network. Why is it different with pf? This
limits the configuration to pf compatible switches only. Also, if someone
wants to bypass authentication, they can simply replace the switch
configured to point directly to the network gateway. Would you be kind
enough to explain this to me? Thank you

Leonardo Izzo

Area Sistemistica

I.T.S. S.r.l.

Struttura Territoriale Spaggiari S.p.A.

Partner Netasq - Stormshield

Via Antiniana, 115

80078 - POZZUOLI (NA)

Tel. +39 081 8549344

Fax +39 081 2303379

e-mail: <mailto:leonardo.i...@itsinformatica.it>
leonardo.i...@itsinformatica.it

Sito web: www.itsinformatica.it

Ai sensi del D.Lgs. 196/2003 si precisa che le informazioni contenute in
questo messaggio sono riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario. Qualora
il messaggio in parola Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad
eliminarlo senza copiarlo e a non inoltrarlo a terzi, dandocene gentilmente
comunicazione. Grazie.

Pursuant to Legislative Decree No. 196/2003, you are hereby informed that
this message contains confidential information intended only for the use of
the addressee. If you are not the addressee, and have received this message
by mistake, please delete it and immediately notify us. You may not copy or
disseminate this message to anyone. Thank you.