On Wed, 10 May 2000, Tom Zerucha wrote:

> I don't think it would be unfair, but the hardware is still costly.
> The "entry" pocket PC is a large percentage of the cost of a real
> laptop, and you aren't going to like working with excel on the small
> screen (and it simultaneously kills anything like Quicksheet - a PDA
> optimized spreadsheet).

It is no more expensive than a PalmIIIc.  Probably the #1 application
for the Palm, is an Excel compatible spreadsheet.  So I think that is a
myth.

> HP is good, but they won't be able to squeeze the Pocket PC into the
> Palm V size/weight, nor the IIIe cost factor.

It's close now.  There is NOTHING that technically prevents that.  If
palm can do it, so can HP, who has made a career of doing just
that.  However I agree with your intent.

I have owned just about every handheld device, that offered programming,
that has come along for the past 15+ years.  I consider myself pretty
knowlegable about what will and what will not take.  The #1 thing that
works against these palm-type devices is size.  I have a saying that I
believe in: "If it is not small enough to have with you all the time,
you might as well have a laptop."  That is precisely why it took me
years to get a palm.  Programming was initially limited to the Mac and
was a little too large, even on the earlier devices.  With the newer,
slimmer devices, they have found the right footprint.

Remember also that organizers and small programmable devices have been
around for 15 years.  The problem was they were not quite small enough
and you could not easily program them (ie. get 3rd party apps).