I don't understand the problem here. Write your code to properly respond to the update
event. On a debug ROM, this code will be run to update, and it'll be slow. On a
release ROM, the bits will almost always be saved and they'll be used to restore the
screen, so you won't get an update event, and it'll be fast. The saved bits are in the
dynamic heap, but I don't think they're on the stack. Clearly, a color device will
require much more space for these bits.
--
Peter Epstein
Palm Inc. Developer