Is it possible for me to call functions just using their locked pointer in
memory? Or do I need to do some kind of assembly "magic"?

yes.

So, can anyone tell me whether what I am trying is possible, and if so,
if there is anything I'm doing wrong in calling functions, and what I
should do differently?

you need to ensure that the pointer you have actually points to the
code you want to execute. for example; dont try to execute data.
i hope your using gcc, as you can have much more control over
your binary generation :)

one of my old registration systems stored code in a .pdb file which
was encrypted based on the hotsync username. this was written in
2000 - and, it still works today.

you just need to know what your doing. no assembly needed.

--
// Aaron Ardiri