>>you just need to know what your doing.

Aha! That's the problem!

>>you need to ensure that the pointer you have actually points to the
code you want to execute. for example; dont try to execute data.
i hope your using gcc, as you can have much more control over
your binary generation :)

I think part of my problem is that the pointer I have actually does NOT point
to the code I want to execute, and may, in some cases, be trying to execute
data.

I looked in my code resources that were generated and they have strings I use
for debugging showing up at the top of the code resource, and the actual code
doesn't show up until later.  I assume this means that my .data is getting put
before my .text

The most convenient solution would be to make the code always be at offset 0,
and the data be down below the code.

There must be some way to write a custom linker script that can put my .data
after my .text, but I don't really know how to accomplish this, and my reading
of how to write linker scripts just left me confused.

Any help would be appreciated.