hmmm I couldn't find it in the 2.5 OS ref pdf but I could find reference to
globals in the Palm OS Programmer'sCompanion, here it is:

---------
In most cases, when you respond to other launch codes, you are not
able to access global variables. Global variables are generally only
allocated after an application receives
sysAppLaunchCmdNormalLaunch (see Listing 3.2) or
sysAppLaunchCmdGoto; so if the application hasn't received
either of these launch codes, its global variables are usually not
allocated and not accessible. In addition, if the application has
multiple code segments, you cannot access code outside of segment
0 (the first segment) if the application has no access to global
variables.
There is one other case where an application may have access to its
global variables (and to code segments other than 0). This is when
an application is launched with the code
sysAppLaunchCmdURLParams. If this launch code results from a
palm URL, then globals are available. If the launch code results
from a palmcall URL, then globals are not available. The URL is
passed to your application in the launch parameter block.
---------

Thanks again for your help...

Chris

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]