On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, K. Chugh wrote:

> Palm would do itself a huge favor by trusting it's developers, retailers, etc.
>enough to let them in on the company plans.  Apple does this all the time- they make
>them sign non-disclosure agreements and give them ample time to make any changes to
>their strategies before the products come out.  Maybe palm is just more liberal with
>manufacturers than developers, which I think is ridiculous.  If
> you look at Palm's webpage for their new products, they have Palm Glove cases
>available, which are made by Body Glove (i think).  if that's the case, then Body
>Glove surely had to have ample notice, certainly more than developers. The point is
>that developers shouldn't have to exercise good or bad judgement in response to
>rumors.  Rumors should be left to the consumer community, developers
> should be treated as insiders- as people on the same team as Palm.  When Palm has
>solid plans to release new products, they should tell developers about them, plain
>and simple.  Palm should trust it's developers, we all want Palm to succeed.

There is a big difference between Palm seeking out a specific
manufacturer for a specific option and giving them the information they
need for that specific option COMPARRED to giving  out the advance
information to every possible software/hardware developer

You know, as well as I, that a huge number of developers, like myself,
are doing software development as a hobby or part-time business.  They
are, for the most part, not in this as their full time business.

If palm gave out the advance information to everyone that claimed to be
a developer, I don't care how much of a non-disclosure agreement you
had, I guarantee you that many of those developers would let the cat out
of the bag.

It is quite understandable that someone that Palm contacted about a
product or option would get information in advance of  thousands of
developers, for unknown products.

Just my put.