Neil Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's a shame that the PRC-Tools don't have an option to store string
> literals directly in the code rather than in global space.

It's a shame when people don't read the manual or write a test program
before making incorrect pronouncements like this.

GCC stores string literals directly in the code by default, and has an
option to put them in the writable data instead if you're so inclined.
(The manual strongly suggests that this option not be used.)

Note that all this means Tom McCormick's calculations for hard coded
strings are off: unless you're insane, the nChars + 1 bytes that contain
the string are in the code resource, and thus in the storage heap, and
there's no extra pointer involved.

    John   "smells like FUD to me!  :-)"