I just ran into a very similar need and searched through this NG for a
previous discussion - strange that it turned out to be just a week ago.
Actually, I guess my needs might be a little different: the important point
for me is that color bitmaps _not_ be remapped by pilrc, even if they are
stored without color tables. I need for the color indices to be unchanged.

So I'm a little late, but here's how I dealt with it:

I added a NOREMAP pilrc option to the bitmap resource statements, and
modified pilrc so as not to do the normal system palette remapping if the
option is specified along with NOCOLORTABLE.

I then just make sure to include at least one bitmap _with_ a color table in
the resource file and use that palette as an argument to WinPalette().
Pretty simple, actually - though it doesn't explicitly define the palette
anywhere in the .RCP file.

I was going to ask Aaron about adding this option to pilrc for real. Does it
make sense to have both methods? Or does anybody really hate NOREMAP in
principal?

-jim berry