>   2) What is Palm doing to make development faster
>   and easier? Some might say this isn't Palm's
>   problem, but I say it is. CodeWarrior and
>   Constructor -- in my humble opinion -- suck. I like
>   GCC, but a lot of people are intimidated by it. What
>   is to be done?

As technical lead for the CodeWarrior for Palm OS team since May, I
can't reveal exactly what we have in store, but I would like to say that
we are working very hard to improve the toolset, and I feel the next
version will be a major improvement for all of our Palm customers.
We're committed to listening to the Palm community and implementing
features to improve the scope of development you can do and to make
building Palm software easier and quicker.

That's all I'm saying for now.  If you think CodeWarrior sucks, let us
know and give us feedback.  I think the core CW toolset for Palm is very
solid: the compiler, the linker, and the debugger.  The IDE has grown
out of a very Macintosh-centric group, and they've missed some needed
functionality in the pursuit of major features like code browsing,
remote debugging, a comprehensive compiler/linker/pref panel plugin
architecture, cross-platform compatibility, file and directory
difference engines, version control interfaces, COM and AppleScript
scripting, and RAD for Java and embedded frameworks.  I'm working with
them to try to get features that Palm developers need implemented for
future versions.

--
Ben Combee, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Developer weblog: http://www.edithere.com/palmoswerks/