I actually don't have a goal at the moment other than gaining the
knowledge and experience.

I'm mostly interested in the palm side but easily realize that any
truly useful application will involve both server and client
programming.

I'll definitely check out the available wireless programming books

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:58:20 -0700 (PDT), Oliver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> The subject line says everything I'm after.
>
>Actually, I think it doesn't tell us enough :-)
>
>What kind of "wireless development" do you want to do?
>Do you want to build applications that run on the Palm
>and connect to something wirelessly?

>>There are a lot of choices, maybe starting with the
>current HandSpring Treos that provide wireless
>access via dialup or (soon officially) GPRS.  Palm
>is rumored to come out with a new GPRS-based
>device.  For older devices, there are sleds or
>other attachments for CDPD service.
>
>Do you "just" want to build server-based applications
>that
>the user can access wirelessly from the Palm via a
>browser?  In that case the cheapest wireless
>device right now might well be the Palm VIIx; I
>have seen it new for $89 (after a mail-in rebate).
>This would let you build/test so-called Palm's so
>called web clipping applications (a misnomer IMHO).
>
>In general, cumulative network service fees are
>likely going to be higher than the device
>purchase price.
>
>To get started, there are (AFAIK) two books, one
>focussing on general network programming on the
>Palm and one (co-authored by Ben Combee who is
>quite active here) that focusses on Web Clipping
>applications.  Check Amazon.
>
>Oliver

>Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos & More
>http://faith.yahoo.com

  Michael S. Harrison
  michaelh.dragonseye@com
  (reverse the dot and at to send email)

* The opinions expressed here are those of my iguana
* and I never know what he's going to say next.