At 20:36 2002-11-6 -0800, you wrote:
From what I've read in the sdk, am I reading correctly that if I desire my
application to be backward compatible to non-high-density displays, I'll
need to include two bitmap families per graphic.
one for low res and one for hi res??!!
No. You just have one bitmap family which has bitmaps for both low-density screens and high-density screens. If you don't need high-density bitmaps, you can just include the low-density ones, and they will be scaled up.

So to be resonable, I'll need to have two different versions of the product,
one with hi-res support and one without??
Maybe... is your application so bitmap intensive that having the additional bitmaps would have a major space penalty. Consider that high-density bitmaps can use PackBits compression encoding, so they really won't be 4X the size of the low-density bitmaps.

This makes the most sense since I don't want to penalize non-hi-res people
with hi-res stuff and etc.
I think a tool that stripped-out high-density bitmaps and high-depth bitmaps from apps would be useful for owners of low-density devices.

Palm is really starting to show how stupid they can be!! - So now we're
required to do this for graphics AND fonts, since we have the same exact
problem with fonts.
You aren't required -- you only have to do this if you want to make your graphics and fonts prettier on the high-density devices. High-density devices will work with low-density graphics and fonts.

I guess they didn't take into account people desiring to work across all
these various platforms with one single app -
Sure they did -- that's why they developed the whole concept of families. Can you tell us how you would have done it differently?

--
Ben Combee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead