docs?  I've read the companions pdf and reference.  Knew about the macros.
Don't recall it saying "don't name your functions open(), close(),
rename()".  Don't recall it saying define IGNORE_STDIO_STUBS if you want to
name functions with the same name as stdio functions.

Benefits?  No benefits in relation to developer satisfaction.  Of all the
PDA developers I've come across, the opinion is universal.  Palm very well
knows what that is.  Their slide in marketshare is directly related to their
poor developer relation and support.  We all know that Palm is the
Netscape/Apple/SUN of the PDA world.  They spent too many years complacently
riding their initial high.  They need to understand that MS dominance was
built on underhandedness AND great developer relations and support.  Palm
needs to get with the times.  Perhaps more up to date example code would
help.  Those examples, circa Palm Pilot professional, just don't cut it
anymore.

Hope you don't get the wrong idea.  Not trying to start an argument, just
venting.  This is the only platform I feel the need to vent whenever I do
work on it.