I see...  and thank you for the knowledge.

Just to clarify, I am using the full gzip format when
file compression takes place (when compression level >
0).  When the data is not compressed I do not include
the header or trailing data.

Are saying that even if the data is not compressed, I
still need to include the header and trailing data if
I am going to pass the data to the deflate function?

Are you also saying that if I do not want the extra
bytes of info added to the file if it is not being
compressed, I could alter the deflate function so when
a compression method other than 8 is specified, no
compression will take place and no extra data will be
added?
> But you
> could cheat a little and
> define your own compression method code to indicate
> raw bytes.

Cheers,
Joe