Is there any way to receive an event as soon as a list item is highlighted?

Not that I know of. At that point, it's too late. You can, however, detect when the user taps on a list item by looking for lstEnterEvent, then do whatever you want--track the pen, highlight an item, etc.

I've successfully used this method to do list item repositioning, multiple item selection and deselection by dragging, and tap and hold detection.

--
Regards,
Steve Mann