Linux has a ways to go before it's any real competition to palm and m$ but I do think eventually it will become a major player.

I didnt say licensees didn't have to pay m$. You have to pay a per device royalty and that's fine. They just don't make you pay an initial large fee and a contract guaranteeing a minimum amount of royalties. I guess palm didnt want to dilute the market but I say let the companies fight it out and the best will rise to the top.

Palm is limiting itself by only have a few major licensees, one of which pulled out of the U.S. market. They are bascially down to one major licensee at this point so why did they even bother spinning off?

Branch out into things like media players and laptop replacements.