For development, you can use CodeWarrior for Palm OS v8.0. Even though Metrowerks doesn't update CW for Palm OS anymore, this release works fine and this is actually what I use for development.

Keep your Windows box around: you'll need it to run the simulators. I have a small PC (a Shuttle) on my desk to which I connect using Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection. This way, I don't need a second screen, keyboard or mouse.

I wrote some open-source tools you'll want to use that ease debugging, have a look at http://osx-palm-tools.sourceforge.net. In particular, Cocoa Palm Reporter is extremely useful (actually I use it a LOT to send traces from my apps, and it works accross the network with apps running on the PC simulator sending the traces to the Mac reporter -- much better than Palm's Reporter).

Finally, others have already pointed to the port of prc-tools that you'll use if you go the open-source tools route. Depending on your level of experience, CodeWarrior may be a better choice. Just use the tools you feel the most comfortable with...

A note about cross-debugging to the PC-running simulators: even though this is possible, it's not easy to configure. I tend to just use traces which cover most of the debugging needs I have, and when I hit a really hard problem I recompile the software with CodeWarrior on the PC and debug it from there.

Florent