Thanks for your insight. So it is not possible to have a character in a hires font which has odd number of pixels due to the width table being always in in standard lores coordinates, correct? And there is no such thing as pure hires font with hires width table, correct? Well that really makes the conversion a bit more complex.

Such 1 bit padding made automatically to all characters with odd width may produce ugly looking results.

Frantisek

Vince Lee wrote:
I don't think so. We've written some internal tools to build and convert dual-density fonts, and I believe hires fonts are always built with an equivalent lores font. The problem is that both fonts share a common character-width table (in standard lores coordinates) so that each character in the hires font is always an even number of pixels wide, exactly double the width of the lores font. Since the lores standard font has plenty of odd-width characters, I don't think you can use its data as is for hires text.