Regis melo wrote:

I'm curious about AppForge. What You can't do with AppForge that You need to go to Palm OS API?

I needed to start learning C, simply because there's no way to set a
Palm's (or any other supported device) time. There's much more (no
support for filestream pdbs for example), which sometimes makes it
necessary (or at least desirable) to create some part of the app in C.

Appforge's two strongest points are the debugging possibilities (because
you work in Microsoft's IDE and have all needed tools handy) and the
cross-platform capability. Symbian60 and Smartphone is a different
thing, because both don't have touchscreens, but PalmOS, WinCE/Mobile
and Symbian UIQ can be easily mixed.

So, I don't known what is really true. I only known that C and C++ is
a highlander and never dies.

Probably ;)
Unfortunately C/C++ places a lot of burden to the developer which can be
avoided in other languages. And in most cases (i.e. not something like
number-crunching) most other tools are sufficient in regard to speed.
I guess the best non-C dev tools today for Palm(OS) are:
(listed in alphabetical order ...)

Appforge's Crossfire - if one needs cross-platform development and
developer works on project/contract basis. A totally no-go for
developers who want to sell apps independently (bc of the client license)

CASL - for Palm and WinMobile. Ca not say much about it, but after some
trouble last year they still seem to be alive and well.

Handheld Basic - HB++, probably the best 'Basic' ever done for Palm.
It's strongest point is the high speed (more or less equal to CW code).
It's true PalmOS though, which means that WinMobile is off limit.

NSBasic - also for Palm and PPC. Seems to have a very alive community
and obviously many developers who ported their apps from Appforge to
NSBasic ... ;)

So in the light of "Is PalmOS going away", Appforge, CASL and NSBasic
are solutions that offer an easy transition to something different than
PalmOS. In case one is willing to maintain code in different flavors,
I'd probably use a combination of HB++ and VS.NET, bc both still shadow
much of the 'low-level' stuff. CW for PalmOS is dead and PODS is ...
(let's say I don't like it). And using C/C++ if you need to work on very
different OSes is probably not the easiest way.

Ingbert