"/Palm/test.txt"
"/Palm/Launcher/test.txt")

Worked fine ... Thanks! ... shudda thought of that (duh)

(BTW ... from this, my impression is that the Palm filesystem doesn't have a notion of relative paths and isn't case-sensitive ... and accepts /Palm/ and /PALM/ ?)

I'm still fuzzy how to get this to work with Simulator 5.x. I didn't see any menu item on the Simulator title-bar that was equivalent to POSE 3.5's "Settings" + "HostFS" ... in order to "map" a directory on the desktop (like C:\Temp) to the expansion memory.