From: Pambazuka News Team at Fahamu
To: All our readers

Greetings Pambazuka News Reader!

As 2004 draws to a close and 2005 approaches, it's a good time to say thank-you to our readers for your continued support over the past year.

We're thrilled with every letter and article we've had from you, not only because it's good to get feedback on what we do, but also because your views, opinions and analyses give true meaning to Pambazuka News as a forum for social justice.

That forum - your forum - has expanded considerably in 2004. We've had a 30% growth in the number of subscribers this year (compared to a growth of 18% in 2003).

Read on for a summary of what we've achieved in the last year, what we plan to do in 2005. Find out how you can support Pambazuka News by donating online.

Apart from your weekly dose of Pambazuka News, during 2004 Pambazuka News has:

* Supported the campaign for the ratification of the Protocol on the Rights of Women in Africa by producing two special issues profiling important aspects of the protocol. These have been successfully used as campaigning tools at meetings of the African Union. As part of this campaign we've hosted a petition on the Pambazuka News website in support of women's rights. This has also involved the development of an SMS function that enables people to sign the petition by SMS and receive SMS updates about the campaign. When we joined the campaign, only one country had ratified the Protocol: today there are five, and five more on the way!

* Supported the campaign for the remembrance of the 10th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide by producing a special issue that profiled the genocide through a series of ten editorials.

* Run a series of critical articles leading up to the 60th birthdays of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund that highlighted the roles of these institutions in Africa.

* Restructured the newsletter to include space for a wider range of editorials, commentary and analysis about Africa and created a broader platform for debate and exchange of views.

* Developed the Pambazuka News web portal to include RSS (Really Simple Syndication) functionality for display of Pambazuka News headlines in news aggregators and on other websites; an online and SMS petitions page and an SMS alert sign-up function.

Here are some recent reader responses about Pambazuka News:

In 2005, a combination of factors mean that Africa is billed to move up the international agenda and feature at a host of global meetings. Pambazuka News has developed an exciting programme called Africa Arise 2005 that will see us:

* Produce a series of 'Social Justice Readers' focusing on peace and security, regional integration, gender, trade, debt and the Millenium Development Goals. We plan to produce these special editions on a collaborative basis, bringing together activists, academics and policy makers with the aim of reflecting diverse viewpoints and contributing to the debate on Africa's future. The special editions will raise awareness and educate by acting as a guide to the issues before Africa and the various forums being held during 2005.

* Support civil society plans to use the focus on Africa in 2005 to advocate at the African Union and Pan-African Parliament to take a bold stand on issues such as debt, aid and trade. Pambazuka News will make our six special editions available for civil society networks to use at meetings of the African Union and Pan African Parliament; we will act as a platform for distributing news and the carrying of editorials focusing on the AU; and be available for producing special issues focusing on important AU or Pan-African Parliament meetings. In addition, Pambazuka News will make available SMS tools that can be used in information dissemination and campaigning.

* Continue to support the coalition involved in the campaign for the ratification of the Protocol on the Rights of Women.

* Develop the Pambazuka News website to strengthen its role as a forum for debate.

* Investigate and experiment with how palmtop computers and radio can be used to support the work of Pambazuka News.

* Establish an Advisory Board that can contribute to the development of the newsletter, but also help advise on editorial policy, commission articles, and stimulate discussions internally about the way forward for Pambazuka News.

* Explore having French and Arabic versions of Pambazuka News.

None of this comes for free.

We need your support.

Pambazuka News is produced by a very small team of Fahamu staff and volunteers, mostly based in southern and eastern Africa.

We are asking you to support us by making a donation to Pambazuka News - especially if you aren't based in Africa. Any amount is welcome, but these are the amounts that we suggest:

* If you are an individual that receives Pambazuka News: at least $20 per year (that's less than 50c an issue)

* If you are an institution that receives Pambazuka News: at least $50 per person per year (about a dollar an issue)

* If you are a Donor agency that receives Pambazuka News: at least $100 per person per year (about $4 an issue)

Many of your came to our support when we put out an appeal last year. Thank you for what you did: it made a real difference. We hope that you feel you've got your money's worth - and that you'll donate again.

We're aware that some subscribers may not have the capacity to donate online. If so, please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] and we can make alternative arrangements.

You can donate now at http://www.securegiving.co.uk/donate_to/fahamu.html

You may not be able to support us financially, but there are other ways in which you can contribute that are just as valuable:

- Encourage other people to subscribe to the newsletter
- Sign our petition in support of the Protocol on the Rights of Women in Africa
- Tell us how you use Pambazuka News in the struggle for social justice
- Share your views and opinions with us; tell us what you think of our editorials and commentary
- If you have knowledge of donors that you think might support our work, please contact us with your suggestions.

Pambazuka News would like to extend a special thanks to all who have written editorials and commentaries for the newsletter during 2004. Many of the writers listed below gave their time free to write articles for us, while others gave permission for their articles to be used. Thanks to this committment, we have been able to include an increased amount of expert analysis on Africa.

Editorial Writers 2004:
Tajudeen Abdul-Raheem; Kafui Adjamagbo-Johnson; Marren Akatsa-Bukachi; Titus Alexander; Rudolf Amenga-Etego; Innocent Balemba; Sanjay Basu; Patrick Bond; Gerald Caplan; Richard Carver; Ann-Louise Colgan; Eva Dadrian; Abdulai Darimani; Fiona Darroch; Eugenia Date-Bah; Demba Moussa Dembele; Sarah Erlichman; Vincent Gasana; Nyaradzai Gumbonzvanda; Barbara Harrell-Bond; Camille Karangwe; Joseph YAV Katshung; Maina Kiai; Steve Kibble; Merab Kiremire; Barbara Lopi; Hein Marais; Isabella Matambanadzo; Kersty McCourt; Patricia McFadden; Henning Melber; Mohammed Mesbahi; James Milner; Mahmood Mamdani; Faiza Jama Mohamed; Charles Mutasa; Phil Ya Nangoloh; Laurie Nathan; Akong Charles Ndika; Gichinga Ndirangu; Oduor Ong'wen; Robin Palmer; Kwesi Kwaa Prah; Brian Raftopoulos; Sara Rakita; Rotimi Sankore; Volker Schimmel; Mebrak Tareke; Riaz Tayob; Mary Wandia; Everjoice J. Win; Eugenia Zorbas.

We would also like to thank Ford Foundation's Special Initiative for Africa, TrustAfrica, Oxfam GB, IDRC-Research Matters, and New Field Foundation for their support for initiatives associated with Pambazuka News.

Wishing you all the best in 2005.

Firoze Manji and Patrick Burnett

PAMBAZUKA NEWS IS PUBLISHED BY FAHAMU
Fahamu - learning for change
Frewin Court, 51 Cornmarket Street, Oxford OX1 3HA, UK
PO Box 70740, Overport, Durban,  KwaZulu Natal 4067,  South Africa
www.fahamu.org and www.fahamu.org.za