Hi,

-- Sisyphus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

IMHO, Strawberry's main "selling" point is that it ships with both the
compiler and make utility. (You don't have to then hunt around and
install them separately.)
Also, it provides some additional and useful C libraries such as expat,
iconv, gmp, xml2 and zlib  - which aren't part of MinGW.

yes, I think that's the point:

Strawberry Perl has everything out of the box. It can be used like Perl everywhere else.

ActivePerl has only Perl and selected modules and HTML documentation out of the box.

And both lack a usable terminal application ;-) (BTW: Is there something for windows?)

I give Perl trainings in companies. I can talk to them: please install Strawberry-Perl, Eclipse+Perl-Plugin (or Komodo Edit) before the course starts. This is easy and works out of the box. With ActiveState Perl this is much more difficult.

So, the question is: where are the pros of ActivePerl beside support contracts or the ActiveStates Perl Development Kit etc, unless it ships CPAN ready? ;-)

Ciao
 Alvar

--
** Alvar C.H. Freude, http://alvar.a-blast.org/