Steffen Mueller schrieb:
Hi Christoph,

Ch Lamprecht wrote:
<< Now I was making up my mind about the possibility to add a
dependencies cache - most of the time my dependencies do not change - and
just tried it. It's a quick hack: uses Storable to store/retrieve state
inside the pack_manifest_hash method. However it works and I'd like to
share it here, maybe as a feature suggestion rather than a patch...

That's a wonderful idea!

It speeds packing up from minutes to seconds in my case. Btw sorry: Diff is
against $VERSION = '0.982' I didn't check before I started...

No worries. Thanks for diving into the guts of PAR::Packer to implement the
feature! My only criticism is that I somehow feel this would be better put
into Module::ScanDeps which does the actual dependency checking. But I have
no strong opinion on this. Maybe it's cleaner to keep the functionality in
PAR::Packer. What do others think?

Hi,

I found different calls to M::SD in pack_manifest_hash and didn't know where to 'plug' this inside M::SD. Also the pack_manifest_hash does different things: Maybe the application of filters could be factored into a seperate method.

Some random thoughts: - Would it be better to have only one option
"dependency-cache" which will load the file if it exists and write it back to
disk after the packer is done scanning the files that aren't covered by the
cache?

Only one option sounds good: Use it if present or create it otherwise doing the scan. I don't understand the second point: How would you find files that are not covered by the cache without scanning the whole dependency tree?

Thanks for looking into it, Christoph