On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Kime Philip <philk...@kime.org.uk> wrote:

> ...regularly we get an error report from users that after a while using
> the tool, a particular file disappears from the cache and the cache has to
> be deleted and the binary unpacked again. I have never worked out why this
> is and it has been a problem for a few years, through many PP versions. You
> can see the general issue reported here:
>

> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/140814/biblatex-biber-fails-with-a-strange-error-about-missing-recode-data-xml-file
>
> From what I have seen, when this file is missing, all of the .pm files in
> inc/ are missing too although I cannot reliably reproduce this. It is a
> very frequent error from many users on various platforms and I’d very much
> like to find out why it happens …

I'm fairly confident that PAR::Packer doesn't meddle with the files in the
cache area  of
a pp-packed executable. AFAICT there's nothing in the code to delete files
there (except
to purge the whole cache area immediatly after running the executable).

At least for *nix installations I can think of an explanation:
administrative cron jobs that clean up
/tmp, /var/tmp etc by purging files not modified for some time. Dunno for
Windows, esp.
since the "temp" directories there are typically specific to each user.

Cheers, Roderich