On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Shawn Laffan <shawn.laf...@unsw.edu.au>
wrote:

> What I'm thinking of is some way for a PAR executable to detect if extra
> files packed using -a are missing, and then unpack them.

Such a check would defeat the "if the cache area exists, skip extracting
stuff" logic, so you'll
take a hit when starting up. Also there's a (somewhat crude) lock against
concurrent
unpacking of the cache area that you have to keep in mind.

But most of all: the code base is very brittle and prone to breaking stuff
at a distance,
hence I myself won't touch certain parts unless it's absolutely necessary.
But if you want to try your hand at hacking: the code that extracts all
packed files
(excpet DLLs) into <cache area>/inc is sub _extract_inc in PAR.pm

Cheers, Roderich