Is there a pipeline that would allow me to extract a block from a MultiBlock data set and end up with the "native type" of vtk object that the block represents?

I have a custom reader that reads data from an HDF5 file and outputs vtkMultiBlockDataset. I then use the "ExtractBlock" filter to pull out a specific data set. The type of data is a Uniform Rectilinear Grid that is store in the block. After the ExtractBlock the extracted data is still listed as MultiBlock. I then run some filters (Extract Surface) that generates PolyData. I would now like to "AppendDatasets" but the filter is not available because I am assuming that the filter does not like the vtkMultiBlockDataset that are produced from all the other steps.

I am thinking of a filter such that the input is a MultiBlockDataset and the output is a vtkImage, or vtkPolyData or something like that.

Thanks for any help.

this is on ParaView 3.8.0 RC1, OS X 10.5.8, Qt 4.6.2 Cocoa.
Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jack...@bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio