Compile does not work for me because when VTK_USE_S?YSTEM_HDF5 is ON and the
external HDF5 is built with parallel support, the hdf5 needs to include the mpi
directories.

After quite a lot of painful testing (I wanted to do it the right way rather
than just manually adding include_directories and link libs to netcdf, xmf,
vtkIOAMR  ...)
I discover that
vtk_module(vtkhdf5
  DEPENDS
    vtkzlib
  EXCLUDE_FROM_WRAPPING
  )

But how do I conditionally say (this would only work for a cmake configured
hdf5, not an autoconf one, but that's a fair compromise for this I think)

if(VTK_USE_SYSTEM_HDF5)
  if (HDF5_ENABLE_PARALLEL)
    if (NOT PARAVIEW_USE_MPI)
      MESSAGE(ERROR "System HDF5 uses MPI but PARAVIEW_USE_MPI is
${PARAVIEW_USE_MPI}")
    endif(NOT PARAVIEW_USE_MPI)
#
# In here we need to say conditionally depend on MPI
# But how do I add #include paths to the auto generated
# set(vtkhdf5_SYSTEM_INCLUDES ${MPI_C_INCLUDE_PATH})

  endif (HDF5_ENABLE_PARALLEL)
endif(VTK_USE_SYSTEM_HDF5)

When I add the MPI path to the variable, it is overwritten before it gets to
the Xdmf,netCDF, subdirs. I can't find the real place where it is set
permanently. Seems like the 3rd party macro needs extra options to pass in
dependent paths like this.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

JB