Hi Celia,

if you use the vtkWriter directly without using a proxy you will need to do:

writer.SetInput(o.GetClientSideObject())

But the better way to do that is by following

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Python_Scripting#Writing_Data_Files_.28ParaView_3.9_or_later.29

And maybe, you might be interested in looking at some other examples here:
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Python_recipes

Hope that helps,

Seb