I'm replying on this thread, but my comments are really addressed to Pat.

Having made use of the memory inspector, I have memory leaks in my reader and
wanted to track them down.
I tried to merge in the DebugLeaksView
http://public.kitware.com/Wiki/DebugLeaksView
helper which I thought would be nice to test. Using 3.98 I encountered
conflicts and made a patch (though the conflicts I had might be caused by
another tweak I made locally). Anyway, attached it a new patchset to get the
debug leaks going in 3.98

For wiki page : I had to turn on VTK_DEBUG_LEAKS (fairly obvious) and manually
enable vtkViewsQt module or something like that.

When compiling, lots of include paths were wrong so I just hard coded them and
manually added vtkViewsQt.lib to the link line for paraview exe.

The debug leaks window is really fabulous. I spent an hour tweaking my code and
reduced my ref counts and spare objects by a full factor of two. Now I have no
leaks.

Feature request : Combine memory inspector and debug leaks into a single dock
window. (Is it feasible to view debug leaks on remote nodes? - while running
possibly, but not at closedown I suppose).

I may have a play with the QtDebugLeaks stuff if you aren't developing it any
more to do the dock window combination changes.

Patches attached are not very useful as the VTK stuff isn't included and it
would only take you 2 minutes to do it yourself anyway. Mostly just wanted to
bump this thread in case someone was going to cleanly integrate the debugleaks
in 3.98

Thanks very much for both these memory management controls, really saved me a
lot of work.

JB