I just submitted an account request for the paraview.org/Wiki. Hopefully, once I have an account, I can add this myself... I want to add some short documentation to the Python Scripting page, explaining if you're trying to do multiple Render() calls in the same python session, you must not close the ParaView figure window that appears after the first Render(). Closing the figure window after any Render() will make any subsequent Renders() exit the python interpreter (whether pvpython, ipython, or the standard python interpreter) with an error like the following:

XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"

I probably spent an hour on google, stack exchange, and various help/forum boards trying to figure out why a second call to Render() would cause the interpreter to exit. By blind luck I realized that if I didn't close the figure produced by the first Render(), then subsequent Render() 's would work perfectly fine. Some doco on this might help other new users if they by chance like closing windows that are no longer needed and are then perplexed when they try and Render a new object.

Anyways, that's long-winded.

Alex