Hi folks,
I found out about Spinner.com months ago through Toonhead-online.com. I've downloaded
the Spinner.com plug-in for Winamp and I've been listening to Spinner for quite a
while now. One thing I liked about Spinner was that they had an easy listening
channel. My grandmother likes easy listening and I turned the channel on for the two
of us to go to sleep with. Last weekend, I ran Winamp and got an error message saying
that Winamp couldn't connect to Spinner.com. I went to Spinner's web site and what
came up wasn't anything about Spinner, but a web site for ... Radio at Netscape. ? I
thought to myself, "Uh-oh. I'm a Microsoft Internet Explorer user. I don't think I'll
mess with Radio at Netscape since I don't use Netscape's web browser." I had heard
several years ago that Nullsoft, AOL and Netscape are under the same umbrella if you
will--part of the same company. I downloaded the Radio at Netscape player from the
site at Spinner.com and installed it. A song began to play. Fine audio quality, but
the program wasn't very accessible. I had to route my PC cursor to my JAWS cursor and
move around in the program to find out what I could listen to. After 30 or so songs, a
box pops up saying "Are you still there? You've listened to 30 songs in a row," or
something like that. I have to click the OK button in order to hear more songs. I
Thought, "well this is silly." I had to leave for a while, so I exited the program. I
came back later and started Radio at Netscape again. This time, the program said that
a newer version of the program is available and would I like to download and install
it. I clicked "yes" and the newer version was downloaded and installed. The newer
version must still be in its beta stages because the older version is the one people
download from the Spinner.com web site. The newer version is more accessible as at
uses the user's default web browser--in my case, Internet Explorer. But there are
several things about this newer version of Radio at Netscape that I strongly dislike.
(1) The newer version touts AOL for Broadband and Radio at AOL *all over the place*.
Not only was this newer version downloaded and installed, but a small downloader for
downloading AOL for Broadband software was installed on my system. Icons named "Try
AOL for Broadband" were placed on my desktop, in my start menu, and in my favorites in
Internet Explorer. Icon values for AOL for Broadband were placed in the registry.
Links for trying AOL for Broadband were scattered all throughout the Radio at Netscape
program. (2) This newer version must not support Windows 95 and/or computers with not
that much memory. Currently I'm using a computer with Windows 95, 2 gigs of hard drive
space, 32 MB of RAM, Internet Explorer 5.5 and a cable modem. (Go ahead, laugh. :-)
Yes I am planning on upgrading to a fast XP desktop computer in the next couple months
when I get my tax money back.) Anyway, the newer version of Radio at Netscape runs
v-e-r-y s-l-o-w on my computer. My computer chokes and gags on it. (3) And this is the
thing I dislike the most: Users of this newer version of Radio at Netscape are only
allotted so many minutes per day to listen to any of the channels on the service. When
users' times are all used up, they are given the message to join AOL so they can
listen to Radio at AOL where they'll be able to listen to channels unlimited. Now I'm
sorry, but that is ridiculous! I mean, is it just me, or is AOL becoming just like
Clear Channel? Well, that discussion is for another time, another list, but anyway, I
find that limitation to be another one of AOL's desperate ways to bait in more AOL for
Broadband victims--uh I mean customers. Without hesitation, I uninstalled Radio at
Netscape and deleted any shortcuts, links and references to AOL for Broadband on my
system. Ee-gad.
Does anyone know where I can listen to easy listening music--the standards like Frank
Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole, Barbra Streisand and, Doris Day and others? If
so, let me know on or off list. Thanks.