Hi Gary.

You've probably seen Bruce's note on music sound quality and I'd agree with
him 100%.  Any music compressed to MP3 will suffer some degradation in sound
quality.

However, WAV files don't support MP3 tag id's and are a little unwieldy for
today's portable players so if you want to take a lot of music with you or
you just want a large collection of music on your hard drive with tags then
MP3, encoded at a high bit rate, is probably not a bad compromise.

I've read a lot of statistical analysis on frequency range and sound quality
testing with various MP3 encoders and the Lame encoder is very highly rated
in this field.

128kbps is generally regarded as alittle too low for good music quality but
is obviously great because the file size is about as low as you would really
want to go.  I've always been surprised that the companies selling music
downloads sell music at this bit rate to be honest.

With regards to frequency range alone, I've seen many analysis reports that
measure 256kbps as just about meeting the CD frequency range and so 320kbps
is probably not going to yield much more in that respect but if you've got
the disc space, why not.

Even ripping a CD to WAV files will incur some degradation in quality but as
Bruce pointed out, it's all about how high fidelity your player is and how
good your hearing is that needs to be considered.

Kevin