Christopher,
Well, I'm wondering if the fact that I'm running Windows 98 SE and Winamp
2.93 or whatever is the problem.  I upgraded Windows Media from version 7
and can't remember whether I was prompted to install kodeks or not--if I did
it was just a matter of following prompts, but I have no idea what I was
doing, smile.  This may be a coincidence, but when first installing total
Recorder I had a driver conflict with winamp and could not get it to work
with software speech and instead had to use my auxiliary hardware synthe,
but have heard that it may work better with XP.  Not sure why there should
be less tweaking with XP in general but I get the impression that is true.
Oh well, glad it works for someone at least.  If you know anything about
kodeks please advise.  Many thanks.

Susan