*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********
On 28/09/2004 at 12:25 PM Tom Kaufman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thought you all would appreciate seeing this; it comes from another
list
that I am on.
Tom KaufmanSubject: FTP Internet News Can Skype live up to the Net
phone
hype?

Can Skype live up to the Net phone hype?
Published: September 27, 2004, 10:00 AM PDT
By
Ben Charny
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
When Sun Chun first heard of Skype and its promise of free,
high-quality
Internet
phone service, he figured the claims were mostly hype.
Chun, who generally considers himself an early adopter, had tried
broadband
phone
services before, only to suffer lost calls and garbled conversations.
So he
was skeptical
when reports began circulating a year ago of revolutionary peer-to-peer
software
that could render traditional phone companies obsolete, much as
file-swapping services
threatened the recording industry.
The jury is still out on whether Skype will take down the Bells. But
Chun,
for one,
is kicking himself for waiting so long to try out the software.
"The conversations with our friends are surprisingly clear and crisp,"
Chun,
a San
Jose, Calif., tech worker, said in an e-mail. "Calls to my friend in
Australia were
also of equal crisp quality. So now, I am urging all my friends and
family
to install
this incredible software."
Bottom line:
Despite rough edges, the service has won over a number of early
adopters.
But Skype
won't likely bring down traditional phone services anytime soon.
Just over a year after Skype's launch, the Luxembourg-based upstart is
showing signs
of being the real deal. But as with early predictions about
peer-to-peer
technology
and the music business, the expectations about an overthrow of the
telephone
industry
remain unfulfilled.
In fact, as much as Skype presents a budding competitive challenge to
the
old-line
companies, it's also looking for ways to cooperate with them. The
start-up
voices
lofty goals of expanding the way people communicate, but it still faces
the
down-to-earth
demands of broadening its own sources of revenue.
And although users like Chun say they're impressed by Skype's voice
quality,
there
are still some rough edges. Both caller and receiver must have the
voice
over Internet
Protocol (VoIP) software installed. Calls to ordinary phone customers
will
still
have a cost. And the software works only on PCs and a handful of niche
devices--not
regular phone handsets.
"VoIP didn't become successful until it moved off the PC," said Sara
Hofstetter,
a senior vice president at Net2Phone, a VoIP provider that, unlike
Skype,
does not
use peer-to-peer software.
You say you want a revolution?
Even taking into account such pitfalls, Skype signals a major upheaval
for
the phone
industry.
Because of its peer-to-peer architecture, Skype requires absolutely no
infrastructure
and only minimal capital investment compared with phone companies that
own
their
own lines and switches. Rather, Skype's 750,000 daily users create the
network on
the fly, sharing computer resources to manage traffic flow and ensure
call
quality.
Skype claims its network can grow organically without the need to add
new
equipment
to support increased traffic demands.
Skype goes mobile
This "network free" concept is unprecedented, even for Net phone
providers
that are
already turning the century-old telephone industry on its ear. With
Skype,
one no
longer needs a few hundred thousand dollars in start-up costs typically
associated
with Net phone service, let alone the billions of dollars in
investments to
become
a traditional phone company.
"I knew it was over when I downloaded Skype," Federal Communications
Commission Chairman
Michael Powell
said recently. "When inventors are distributing.a program to talk to
anybody else,
and the quality is fantastic, and it's free, it's over. The world will
change now
inevitably."
Skype has
turned heads
for its unique blend of technology and rapid grassroots adoption. The
company claims
more than 22 million downloads since the software was first made
available
in August
2003. It is currently signing up about 60,000 new registered users
every
day--numbers
that draw comparisons to free software downloads that swept the
Internet
during the
late 1990s, such as the ICQ instant messaging service.
"Its growth rate is sky high," said Tim Draper, managing director at
Draper Fisher Jurvetson
, which has invested $9 million into the company. "I don't think
there's
been this
speed of adoption since Hotmail. We are thrilled with what Skype's been
able
to do.
We think it's a global phenomenon that will change communication for
the
better."
Following in Kazaa's footsteps
Skype has also drawn comparisons to Kazaa, the wildly popular
file-swapping
software
created by Jan Friis and
Niklas Zennstrom
--the same pair of developers behind Skype.
Like Kazaa, Skype uses peer-to-peer technology that connects PCs and
turns
them into
a powerful, collaborative network without the need for central servers
direct
traffic or otherwise administer the system.
In Kazaa's case, people can search and retrieve files stored on one
other's
computers--a
capability that has drawn the wrath of the entertainment industry over
allegations
of massive copyright violations.
With Skype, people can place phone calls without touching the
traditional
phone network.
That means callers can avoid long-distance charges, regardless of the
destination,
provided both caller and receiver have the Skype software.
Although other companies such as Vonage, Packet8, VoicePulse and AT&T
have
launched
similar broadband phone services, most use centrally managed systems to
handle call
transfers to the traditional phone network. Most also charge a flat
monthly
fee.
Skype, by contrast, charges only when its users need to make a call
that
goes off
the peer-to-peer network to a traditional telephone line, a capability
made
available
recently through a new feature known as SkypeOut. The service charges a
flat
rate
of about 2 cents a minute to 20 countries in North America, Western
Europe
and Australia.
Different rates apply elsewhere.
Rivals argue that Skype's free calling network is a essentially closed
one
and thus
won't have broad appeal to people wanting to call anyone without the
software. As
a result, rivals that offer flat billing rates may have wider appeal.
"Skype might have great software, but its business case and its reach
is
very limited,"
said a Vonage representative. "They aren't going to take over the world
the
way they
are doing it now."
What's in store?
With all its momentum, it's surprising to hear that Zennstrom isn't
interested in
putting traditional phone companies out of business anytime soon--if
ever.
Rather, he said, a major theme for the company is how VoIP and phone
companies can
work together.
In this relationship, Skype plays the role of lure by supplying a
tempting
Internet
application--in this case free Internet calling with loads of extra
features--that
phone companies can use to sell
broadband
to their customers.
"Fax machines did not kill the post office. E-mail didn't kill the fax.
Our
objective
is not to kill any telephone companies. People will be using phones of
all
kinds
in the future," Zennstrom said. "If anything, we are there to help
drive
sales of
broadband. What we want to do is expand how you communicate, adding on
text
messaging,
file transfer, video. Voice is just one way to communicate."
Another priority is profits. "In a world of many, many billions, it's
easy
to find
10 million geeks," said Net2Phone's Hofstetter. "The real question for
Skype
is how
are they going to make money?"
Skype's only revenue sources for now are sales of $55 "Cyber Phones"
for
laptops,
and a number of Plantronics combination headset/microphones. In
mid-2004,
it
significantly
expanded its commercial efforts with SkypeOut, in which Skype users can
call
cell
phones or landline phones. People create an account of $12, $30 or $62
worth
of voice
minutes. The accounts are charged at various rates, depending on where
the
call originates
and which region is being called. Zennstrom wouldn't say how much the
company now
earns from these and other ventures.
"We are very focused now on the short term and introducing our
commercial
services,"
Zennstrom said.
Jumbo phone booths
Looking ahead, Skype plans to fine-tune what is already one of the best
voice qualities
in the business. It is testing new applications for videoconferencing,
which
will
accompany the dozen free features Skype already offers. In addition,
the
company
is busy making versions of its software for mobile devices, a difficult
technical
feat that could have a huge payoff.
The push began in early 2004, when Skype released a version of its
software
for Microsoft-powered
personal digital assistants.
With such a combination in hand, the public venues, transportation
hubs,
stores,
restaurants and offices with high-speed
Wi-Fi wireless networks
could become oversize phone booths, where Skype users can call each
other
for free,
or reach the traditional phone network for a couple cents a minute.
The next step, said Zennstrom, is creating a version of Skype for cell
phones. A
Skype representative said the company is testing Skype for cell phones
using
a European
cell phone network equipped with
3G
, or third generation, wireless broadband gear that typically downloads
data
at the
speed of a digital subscriber line connection.
But this push into phones is raising questions. Skype calls on a cell
phone
would
rely on wireless data networks that are for now expensive to use. But
Zennstrom is
confident the price of such services will drop to palatable levels.
"That's definitely where we are going," Zennstrom said. "This will be a
very
big
step for us."
*********** END FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********