Jim,
If you have access to the September 04 issue of Consumer Reports, check
out their review of both desktop and laptop computers. Dell use to be the
top rated, but it's now second, but I forgot number one. Gateway was near
the bottom for reliability, but at the top for customer service. If you
are not yet receiving CR on tape, you can sign up for it with your
state's library for the blind.
All the best, and welcome to the list.