Don,
I knew that should have worked. Remember what I said about the brain being on vacation? The files I want to split are playlist files with m3u or PLS extensions, info courtesy of the details view which I should have checked in the first place, duh! Anyway, I found I can split actual MP3 files so haven't completely lost my mind. i wish there was an easy way to extract parts of a playlist, any thoughts? In the past I've re-re-recorded using Total Recorder,. Again, many thanks.

Susan