To: "PC-Audio" <Pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2005 12:39 AM
Subject: Understanding and comparing compression formats

I've just been learning how to rip music from CDs to my hard drive using
several different programs, and the one that interests me most at present is
Windows Media Player because of the variety of formats it offers.

As I explore and test these formats, one thing confuses me:  You can rip
Windows Media Audio files about six different ways, not counting the
lossless option.  Now, I'm aware that .mp3 ripping can be adjusted to use
bit rates higher than the default 128 in order to restore a little of the
information that a lower bit rate strips out.

but understanding that is simple compared to the range of .wma options.
Here's the main thing that puzzles me. In the WMP menu for setting your rip
options, there are *two* sets of .wma options, each with its own range of
sound quality level.

First is the .wma choice that uses a slider to provide you with,as I recall,
three levels of sound quality. I've ripped the same track with all three,
and not only listened to them-- the differences are audible to me, although
pretty subtle compared to the difference between any of them and a less
compressed lossless or uncompress .wav version. Still, for saving space, I
appreciate the compression, so I remain interested.

Okay. So the smallest .wma sound quality level creates a really small file,
much smaller than the same tune ripped to .mp3. And it doesn't sound any
worse than the .mp3, was my impression. The next higher levels create
larger files, with the highest quality level creating a file for any given
track that's about the same size as a 192 bit rate .mp3. If I go this way,
I'd suppose that's the method I'd use, so you get a little better sound
quality than an .mp3 for the same file size.

But then, right beneath this on that menu, there's a variable bit rate .wma
option, again set by a slider, but this time starting at 0 per cent and
going up. Zero per cent of what? And, more to the point, if this has to do
with changing bit rates (doesn't the other method, I wonder? How else would
you change quality except by varying the bit rate?) where are the
indications for *what* bit rate this slider takes you through?

So that's it. I'm really wondering about this stuff as I try to settle on a
preferred rip method to set for my usual use. Does anyone understand
whatever it is I'm not getting about these two adjustable .ma formats? Is
there anywhere to read a simple primer about them? I don't feel the need to
do research if someone can just explain what it is I'm not understanding.
But just in case there's some online information about this that would
clarify it all, that would be fine, too.

Thanks,
Daniel