From: "Kevin Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PC audio discussion list. " <Pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: Understanding and comparing compression formats

Hi Daniel.

CDEX will allow you to use a number of encoders to rip your music and allow
you to use constant or variable bit rates.  The WMA format is available but
not all bit rates are supported for the version of the encoder included.

Saying that, the default Lame encoder is regarded as one of the best MP3
encoders around and in comparison tests I've done myself and read about, it
out performs WMA with most music genres.

With regards to your question on burning the compressed MP3 or WMA files to
CD, well, you have the choice when burning to either create an audio CD for
play in a standard CD player which will convert the compressed file into WAV
and then CDDA or you can burn the files to a data CD which will burn them
exactly as they are on your hard drive.  That is, compressed.  There are
increasing numbers of players on the market now, both portable and genuine
hi-fi, that will play these data CD's with your MP3 music.  This means you
could have 10 albums or more on a single disc.  Kelly's point was exactly
this that MP3 is still the most popular compressed format and most well
supported.  You wouldn't want to rip a collection of CD's into WMA and find
that you couldn't play them on anything else but your computer.  Maybe you
might now but chances are you'll want to take them with you at some point
and want to invest in a portable player.  Having them ripped into MP3 will
give you a much greater choice of player when that day comes.

Regards.

Kevin
E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]