Yardbird,

First of all, I think I accidently addressed my previous message on this issue to you rather than Scott, who originally posted the enquiry concerning this matter. Anyway, what I wanted to say regarding the facility for converting text files to mp3 within Openbook is this. Openbooks option has two major flaws. The first is that the rendering of the audio is a bit uneven, in that it tends to pause at inappropriate intervals, as well as introducing annoying pops and such. Another problem is that you are stuck with only one setting for both bit rate, as well as sampling rate. This really makes a difference in that if you record your text at 128/44100khz stereo rather than at say 32KBPs/22.05khz mono, fast forwarding and rewinding take quite a bit longer. This lower setting doesn't cause any noticeable deterioration sound quality, at least not on the Victor Reader Classic. Not to mention you can cram more books and docs onto a single disc.

At 04:18 PM 5/21/2005, you wrote:
Scott,
So far as I'm aware, there *is* in the current version of Open Book (version
7x) the ability to do just this, though I haven't learned yet how to do it,
myself.  There is a mailing list specifically for Open Book Users, and if
you write to me privately, I'll find the subscription information and give
it to you.
Daniel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Blanks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 6:56 AM
Subject: converting text to audio

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this topic, so I hope I ask the correct questions.

Basically, what I am looking for is an accessible and effective way to
convert text or MS Word files into mp3 or wav.  I use Open Book currently,
but I imagine there is something out there which would more adequately meet
my needs.

Any ideas?
Scott
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]