Volume control is very important.  I've heard lots of oldtime radio shows
ruined by over recording.
What's worse, there's no way to fix what's called clipping.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Howard Traxler
  To: PC audio discussion list.
  Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:43 AM
  Subject: Re: size of audio files

  Thanks Gary and Jay,
  Here's what I have,:

  When I was beginning to learn, I recorded a tune from a cassette tape to a
  .wav file using recall pro.  Converted it to .mp3 using GoldWave.  The size
  of the .mp3 file is 4,390.  Winamp shows 320kbit, 48000 hz stereo.

  I downloaded the same tune as .mp3 from the internet.  The size of the .mp3
  file is 1,880.  Winamp shows 128kbit, 44100 stereo.

  The length of the tunes in time are very close, 8 seconds.  The volume of
  the one I recorded is too high; somewhat distorted.  Otherwise the quality
  is not much different.

  Questions:  I'm now using GoldWave to record mostly.  How can I control the
  bit rate and the hz when recording with GW?  Is there a good way to adjust
  record level?  If I either record in mono or convert to mono, will files be
  smaller?

  Thank you Gary, Jay, and anybody else, for your helps.

  Howard