When it was first released, I purchased Sound Forge 6 with noise reduction
and Jim Snowbarger's scripts. I have since decided that Sound Forge was
probably a lot more program than I really needed. I also purchased Studio
Recorder which I really like for certain projects that I have worked on over
the past couple or three years. As those of you who have used it know,
Studio Recorder will never be the only sound editor anyone will ever use; it
has some very specialized features that are quite unique to it.

On my 800MHz Pentium III computer, I found Sound Forge to be a real resource
hog, and Jim's scripts didn't always behave as expected. No disrespect
intended, Jim, if you're reading this. My old computer's sound card was a
bit ornery anyway.

I have recently purchased a Pentium 4 2.66GHz computer and have installed
Studio Recorder. Now for my decision, hence my request for feedback from the
list. I am looking at three options.

1. Install Sound Forge 6 with noise reduction.
2. Evaluate Sound Forge 8 and pay for the upgrade, approximately $150 if I
read it correctly.
3. Download and evaluate Goldwave, and possibly pay $48 for yet another
audio program.

>From the standpoint of accessibility and footprint, which sound editor would
the majority of respondents suggest and why? Let's pretend that money is no
object, which is certainly not the case. I have just promised myself that
I'm not going to install and uninstall a myriad of software on this machine,
so I want to plan my moves carefully. Thanks for all thoughtful responses.

Jamie Pauls, MT-BC
http://www.accesswatch.info